Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Got the Spark!



What was the nutritional content of that salad I ate last week?  How many calories did I burn on the treadmill the other day? Last month, what strength training exercises did I do for my arms and back?  How much did I weigh three months ago? Have I been drinking enough water consistently everyday?

Listen, we all can vaguely recall foods that we ate and exercises that we did in the past, but it’s highly unlikely that you’ll remember every little scrutinizing detail.  Many people opt to keep hand-written notebooks to keep track of all their stats, but I much prefer tracking everything online because of the unlimited access to very helpful tools.  There are many fantastic sites out there, but the one I decided to use was Sparkpeople.

They have tools to track your nutrition, fitness, and weight/measurements as well as helpful articles, goal planners, and success stories just to name a few. And how could I forget the virtual wheel that you get to spin once a day to get points and reach different trophy levels.  Um, fun!  You can set goals and they give you a reasonable timeline of when you can reach them.  If you’re looking for extra support there are some groups you can join with people of similar interests and/or weight-loss goals – ‘20 Somethings with 50-99 lbs to Lose’ was right up my alley.  I don't think I'm alone when I say there’s something reassuring about knowing that you’re not the only one going through this journey.  

Receiving feedback from the site helped motivate me and having the design layout be so simple to navigate through made logging in almost everyday a convenient, enjoyable experience.  It's now interesting to view my nutritional tracker to see what foods I was eating a few months ago versus now and the same with my fitness abilities.  Looking back, seeing my progress, and recognizing how much I've learned is a pretty rewarding experience.  Totally recommended!



Just to show one feature, here's my weight loss tracker report from Sparkpeople starting in April 2011 to the present day.



No comments:

Post a Comment